EU Citizens

EA, EEA & Commonwealth Citizens Are you an EA, EEA and/or a Commonwealth Citizen and are unsure of what happens after the UK leaves the EU? It is completely understandable to be concerned about your rights as an EU/EEA/Commonwealth citizen after Brexit. At P.A. Duffy and Company, we can offer expert guidance on your rights and determining your status, as well as clarification on your rights after the UK leave the EU. There are two types of status EU citizens can apply for: Settled Status – EU citizens and family in the UK by 31 December 2020 and continuously resident for 5 years can stay indefinitely by obtaining ‘settled status’.If you are an EU citizen or a family member of an EU citizen you should apply for settled status. If you already have British or Irish citizenship, have indefinite leave to enter the UK or indefinite leave to remain in the UK you do not need to apply for settled status. You will need to have been resident in the UK for at least 6 months in any 12 month period for 5 years in a row and will be asked to provide proof of this. Pre-Settled Status – EU Citizens living in the UK by 31 December 2020 but resident for less than 5 years can apply for 5 years’ ‘pre-settled status’. They will have at least until 30 June 2021 to apply for this status. To apply you will require a valid passport or identity card. If you have not been resident in the UK for 5 years in a row you may still be eligible for pre settled status. Your application will also be submit to criminal record checks by the Home Office. What Rights Will I Have? If you receive settled status you can stay in the UK indefinitely. You will also be able to apply for British citizenship, use the NHS, access social benefits and pensions, work in the UK and travel in and out of the UK. Any children born in the UK to an individual with settled status will automatically become British citizens. If you receive pre settled status you will be able to live and work in the UK, use the NHS, access social security benefits and pensions, access education and travel in and out of the UK. You will also be able to apply for settled status once you can prove continuous residence of 5 years.

Make A Free Enquiry

Call us now on 028 8772 2102 or complete a Free Online Enquiry and we will soon be in touch.
EU Citizens was last modified: January 21st, 2022 by Conal McGarrity