Employers have a duty of care to ensure their employees are working in a safe environment, when this duty is breached it can expose workers to industrial disease and injury.
At PA Duffy and Company we represent clients who have suffered from a range of diseases which have occurred as a result of their employers’ negligence. Whether you have suffered as a result of exposure to asbestos or you feel your work has led to a repetitive strain injury, our expert solicitors can help you make a claim for compensation.
Our Industrial Disease team are highly experienced in this area of law and can provide advice and representation on:
• Asbestos Claims
• Repetitive Strain Claims
• Occupational Asthma and Respiratory Claims
• Hearing Loss and Deafness Claims.
The term ‘industrial disease’ is used to describe a condition or illness which has developed after exposure to a dangerous substance in the workplace or unsafe working conditions.
The six most common industrial illnesses are: hand arm vibration syndrome, industrial deafness, silicosis, asthma, latex allergies and dermatitis.
Claims for injuries caused by industrial disease can be complex to deal compared to other types of personal injury claims and therefore it is imperative you choose an experienced solicitor to deal with your claim.
One of the reasons making an industrial disease claim can be more complex is that it can often involve a detailed investigation of an individual’s working history.
In many cases the exposure could have happened a long time ago and the company that you believe are responsible could have gone out of business. If this is the case we can still make the claim by tracing the company’s insurers. Also, you may not know when you first started suffering with the illness or condition.
There is generally 3 years from when a court would expect you to have significant knowledge that you were suffering from an injury or an illness. Unfortunately, this is not always as straight forward and so it is very important that you get in contact with our team if you believe may have a claim and we can apply our expertise advice to your situation.
Our services include:
- Respiratory and Lung disease claims – for e.g. exposure to asbestos or Coal worker’s lung.
- Skin disease claims -for e.g. industrial dermatitis, which is caused by exposure to allergens and infections.
- Vibration injury claims – for e.g. vibration injuries include hand arm vibration syndrome (HAVS), also known as vibration white finger (VWF), carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) and whole-body vibration (WBV).
- Occupational cancer claims – for e.g. people who are exposed to dangerous substances such as carcinogens, asbestos and industrial processes, as well as radiation in the workplace, are at higher risk of developing a form of occupational cancer.
- Hearing Loss – hearing conditions such as tinnitus caused by exposure to loud or constant noise in the work place over a period of time