Harassment: What You Need To Know

Harassment & What You Need To Know

Harassment can cause you to feel fearful and distressed. Are you struggling with the treatment you are receiving at the hands of another person, a neighbour for example, and don’t know how to get it to stop.

Harassment and The Current Pandemic

With the current pandemic restricting lots of court business you may think that your distress is not important, and you will just have to put up with the abuse until the pandemic passes.  This is not the case. The current situation with the Northern Ireland Courts is that Judges will hear emergency applications for injunctions where they are really needed to protect someone physically and emotionally. If this applies to you then contact us. We can help.

What is Harassment?

Harassment is when someone behaves in a way which makes you feel distressed, humiliated or threatened. It could be someone you know, like a neighbour or people from your local area or it could be a stranger – for example, someone on the bus.

Examples of harassment can include:

  • Unwanted phone calls
  • Letters, emails or visits
  • Abuse and bullying online
  • Stalking
  • Verbal abuse and threats etc.


The Protection from Harassment (Northern Ireland) Order 1997 states harassing a person include alarming the person or causing the person distress. There must be a  “course of conduct” must involve conduct on at least two occasions and “conduct” includes speech. In short, a person shall not pursue a course of conduct which amounts to harassment of another; and which he knows or ought to know amounts to harassment of the other.

Civil Injunctions

You can contact the police about the harassment, but it is most effective to take a civil case through the county court to get a Civil Injunction granted. This can be done on an ex-parte basis where the person who is causing you the problems will not be aware you have gone to court on the matter. If the Order is granted then it will be served on them by the PSNI immediately. The person harassing you must stop their behaviour or face being arrested.

Your first step will be to contact us at P.A.Duffy & Co Solicitors and we will be happy to help you.

Free Enquiry

Call us on 028 8772 2102 (UK) / 01 533 7860 (IE), or send us a free enquiry