Has your child been unjustly expelled or suspended from school? Do you require legal advice for special needs? Has your child been refused admission to their first-choice secondary school?
At P.A.Duffy and Company we are committed to upholding the rights of children and ensuring their human rights are not abused by schools or educational authorities. Our solicitors have vast experience in bringing judicial review proceedings against schools and education authorities in relation to human rights infringements.
Children With Disabilities
- An area of particular concern is the rights of children and young adults with disabilities. Children with disabilities or learning difficulties may not be receiving the educational support they are entitled to. We provide parents with advice and representation on a number of issues, including appeals against education authorities assessment of a child’s special educational needs.
- A School’s failure to provide adequate support for a range of disabilities can constitute discrimination under Article 14 of the Human Rights Act 1998. At P.A. Duffy and Company we provide expert legal advice to parents who feel their children are being discriminated against.
- We understand how distressing it can be for children and parents when a child does not get admitted to their preferred school. Most schools adhere to their own admissions criteria; however, this can sometimes be inappropriately or unfairly applied. If you feel your child should have been admitted based on the criteria our specialist solicitors can bring an appeal on your behalf against the Board of Governors decision.
- Our Human Rights Solicitors are well renowned for their ability to challenge the decisions of schools, education authorities and other governing bodies if we believe their decision is illegal, irrational or improper in the circumstances. This helps to ensure that public authorities do not abuse their position as decision makers.
Education law can be very complex and overwhelming. That is why at P.A.Duffy & Co. we will eliminate all the legal jargon for you and will speak to you in plain English to make the process easier and ensure that you know what is happening every step of the way.
Our education law team is driven by a desire to protect vulnerable children and parents facing difficulties within the educational system.
P.A.Duffy & Co. specialise in legal advice regarding education law in Northern Ireland. Our team of highly experienced experts are ready to provide advice, support and representation on all aspects of education law, at any stage of the dispute. We are deeply committed to education and understand the opportunities and challenges met by educational institutions.
We deliver high quality, full-service legal advice and these are issues we can help you with:
• Stress and Bullying
• Transfer to Post-Primary education
• Child Protection
• Educational Appeal Tribunals
• Judicial Review in Education
• Special Educational Needs
• Suspensions and Expulsions
• Implementation and Drafting of Policies
• Responsibilities of Boards of Governors
• Legislative Reform
• Department of Education Northern Ireland (DENI) Guidance and Circulars
• Freedom of Information & Data Protection.